Reaching HMI (for Basic Mountaineering Course)


Opting to go through any mountaineering course was not at all an obvious decision for me. Though I used to occasionally go for trekking and cycling around Pune, committing for mountaineering was still making me think. The reasons for this hesitation were simple – first, it was a 28 days long course. That means, I have to be away from family and work for so long. Getting this long leave from work is quite a deal. Even if I could get the leave, the bigger question was, am I physically fit to go through such an endurance sports?

Finally, without thinking anymore, I took the first step (in August 2010) to at least put the nomination for the Basic Mountaineering Course held in March 2011 at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI). To be honest, I thought if things do not work out, I would withdraw the nomination at last minute. By the February, things unfolded differently, I did more regular exercising and frequent trekking to Sinhgarh Fort (near Pune) than ever. I started feeling more confident about my fitness and desperate to go through the mountaineering experience. I have already taken care of the travel logistics (getting tickets at last minutes are difficult) couple of months back. However, there was a twist – I have not yet received the confirmation from HMI. As I have made up my mind by now, I decided to go HMI and request them in person to consider me for the course.

When I reached HMI, they have confirmed by candidature in no time. Later, I discovered that there were few seats remain opened until the end. This is quite a story just to reach HMI and join the course.
Reaching HMI (for Basic Mountaineering Course) Reaching HMI (for Basic Mountaineering Course) Reviewed by Sourabh Soni on Saturday, July 09, 2011 Rating: 5

No comments

Author Details

Image Link [https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zo21XIdyPqc/VuTrFfUyPhI/AAAAAAAAAO8/EEWTN73XHUA7aTIjuxuBSN-WGaGkNUymA/s1600/sourabhdots3.jpg] Author Name [Sourabh Soni] Author Description [Technocrat, Problem Solver, Corporate Entrepreneur, Adventure Enthusiast] Facebook Username [sourabh.soni.587] Twitter Username [sourabhs271] GPlus Username [#] Pinterest Username [#] Instagram Username [#] LinkedIn Username [sonisourabh] Youtube Username [sonisourabh] NatGeo Username [271730]